Values and rights, rule of law, security
#TheFutureIsYours Looking after citizens’ freedoms
Sub-topic: Disability and Work Issues
During this event, a selection of citizens with disabilities will discuss the following questions:
1. How could the EU support the recruitment of people with disabilities into the workplace?
2. What could the EU do to make it easier for people with disabilities to integrate and remain in the workplace?
Event reportThe subject chosen by the group was Inclusion and Employment for people living with disabilities. Approximately one in six people in the EU aged 15 and over lives with some kind of disability. Even if there has been an overall improvement in the employment situation of persons with disabilities in the EU they still remain amongst the most disadvantaged groups as regards employment. In 2010 the EU signed the UN Convention on the Rights of the Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD). According to the UNCRPD, the right to work and employment is a fundamental right (Article 27). The group were given two questions in relation to employment. QUESTION 1. HOW COULD THE EU SUPPORT THE RECRUITMENT OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES IN THE WORKPLACE? QUESTION 2. WHAT COULD THE EU DO TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR THE PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES TO INTEGRATE AND REMAIN IN THE WORKPLACE?
It should be mandatory that all employers and employees be required to have disability awareness and equality training
There should be grants/tax breaks for employers which would encourage them to employ disabled people.
EU funding for employment should be dependent on certain standards being met and complied with.
Improvements to transport to facilitate people with disabilities attending their workplaces.
Please paste this code in your page:
<noscript><iframe src="https://futureu.europa.eu/processes/ValuesRights/f/11/meetings/88045/embed.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="vertical"></iframe></noscript>
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?
- European Parliament
- European Council
- Council of the European Union
- European Commission
- Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU)
- European Central Bank (ECB)
- European Court of Auditors (ECA)
- European External Action Service (EEAS)
- European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- European Committee of the Regions (CoR)
- European Investment Bank (EIB)
- European Ombudsman
- European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
- European Data Protection Board
- European Personnel Selection Office
- Publications Office of the European Union
Please log in
You can access with an external account