Prescribing a healthier future for Europeans
Healthcare, well-being and a healthy lifestyle are vital for all of us. The coronavirus pandemic has revealed a need to work together to build stronger health systems and protect European’s physical and mental health.
While national governments are primarily responsible for healthcare and medical services, European Union health policies can support and strengthen this action. By voicing your opinions, hopes and concerns, you can influence the way healthcare is provided in Europe.
To help you choose, here are some issues the European Union is already tackling or plans to tackle:
- Promoting healthy lifestyles
What is the EU doing?
Through joint action to fight coronavirus and protect people’s health, the EU has already demonstrated how much more we can do in the area of public health. Some of the ways we do this include securing vaccines, ensuring the availability of affordable medicines, treatments and medical equipment, and helping countries work together to coordinate their responses.
Looking to the future, the coronavirus pandemic has increased the need for a European Health Union, stronger Europe-wide coordination, more resilient health systems and better preparation for possible future crises. Our goal is to protect you with high-quality care in the event of a crisis, and provide the tools needed to prevent and manage health emergencies that affect the whole continent.
While fighting the pandemic and leading an emergency response, the European Union continues to act in other health-related areas, including improving preventive care, treatment and aftercare for major diseases such as cancer, notably through the EU missions under Horizon Europe. Each mission will operate as a portfolio of actions – such as research projects, policy measures or even legislative initiatives - to achieve a measurable goal that could not be achieved through individual actions.
Want to find out more on this topic?
- EU Public Health (European Commission)
- Coronavirus response (European Commission)
- EU health policy: what the European Parliament is doing
- EU response to coronavirus: what the European Parliament is doing
- EU's response to the COVID-19 pandemic (Council of the EU)
- EU health policy (Council of the EU)
- EU support for health related research and innovation
- EU’s proposed Mission on cancer
- COVID-19 response
Events - Upcoming events See all events (242)
Ideas See all ideas (1162)
Please paste this code in your page:
<noscript><iframe src="https://futureu.europa.eu/processes/Health/embed.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="vertical"></iframe></noscript>
What is happening at this topic?
- European Parliament
- European Council
- Council of the European Union
- European Commission
- Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU)
- European Central Bank (ECB)
- European Court of Auditors (ECA)
- European External Action Service (EEAS)
- European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- European Committee of the Regions (CoR)
- European Investment Bank (EIB)
- European Ombudsman
- European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
- European Data Protection Board
- European Personnel Selection Office
- Publications Office of the European Union
Please log in
You can access with an external account