A reform plan for a citizen-based European Democracy
We need new energy in Europe. New ideas, new ambitions and new rules to build a Europe based on a strong social political Union, where risks are shared, benefits reach all Europeans, and every person has a voice. The EU needs to be reformed as the future lies in a truly democratic Europe that will be led by and built by its citizens:
1. Remove barriers for voting in Europe!
2. Enable European representative democracy! New political and citizens’ movements have grown over the last years, but they have no chance to run for European elections. Barriers to entry are incredibly high, preventing many from expressing their new political ideas in the European Parliament. We want lower thresholds for running in the EU elections! We want a pan-European ballot so that citizens can express their European political issues instead of through 27 national ones.
3. Establish a Federal Europe with a European Government, headed by visible leaders of the EU, which is elected by the European Parliament. This will create a strong, open, and transparent European parliamentary democracy.
4. Ensure the EU’s ability to act by deciding by majority on all issues in the Council & transforming the Council of the EU into a second legislative chamber representing the federal element of Europe.
5. Empower Members of the European Parliament to fully represent citizens’ interests by being able to propose legislation.
For an overview of VOLT proposals see https://www.volteuropa.org/cofe-campaign