About the Conference
European Citizens' Panels
There will be four European Citizens' Panels, each of them comprising 200 citizens and ensuring that at least one female and one male citizen per Member State is included. Citizens will be chosen randomly to ensure that they are representative of the EU's diversity, in terms of geographic origin, gender, age, socioeconomic background and level of education. Young people between 16 and 25 will make up one-third of each panel.
In addition to the necessary time for preparation, information sharing and feedback, these panels shall meet during deliberative sessions, in different locations, and shall be dedicated to specific themes:
- Values, rights, rule of law, democracy, security;
- Climate change, environment/health;
- Stronger economy, social justice, jobs/education, youth, culture, sport/digital transformation; and
- EU in the world/migration.
Representatives from each European Citizens' Panel, of which at least one third shall be younger than 25, shall take part in the Plenary, present the outcome of their discussions and debate them with other participants. The panels shall take on board contributions gathered in the framework of the Conference through the digital platform, providing input to the Conference Plenary by formulating a set of recommendations for the Union to follow-up on.
Prior to that, a European citizens' event, also in the framework of the Conference, will be held on 17 June 2021 in Lisbon, Portugal, and livestreamed online. This will be composed of 27 representatives from national Citizens' Panels or national events (one per Member State), as well as the President of the European Youth Forum and a number of the citizens already selected for the European-level Citizens' Panels. The event, also organised in hybrid format, will give participants the opportunity to discuss their expectations from the Conference with the three Co-Chairs. These participants will also attend the inaugural Plenary in Strasbourg.
- Specific contract 1 for services related to the selection of participants in European Citizens’ Panels in the context of the Conference on the Future of Europe
- Specific contract 2 for services related to the selection of participants in European Citizens’ Panels in the context of the Conference on the Future of Europe