General information / approach:
For of the Conference on the Future of Europe, the French Government wished to set up an ambitious participative exercise, complementary to the European exercise.
Overview of main national events and initiatives:
- Eighteen conferences were organised in September and early October in all regions of France, metropolitan and overseas. Each conference brought together between 30 and 50 randomly selected citizens, representative of the diversity of the regional population and with varying opinions on Europe. For three days, 800 citizens worked collectively to answer a single question: "As French citizens, what changes do you want for Europe?". A national synthesis conference was then held from 15 to 17 October 2021, at the end of which French citizens identified 14 priority changes that they wished to be implemented in Europe for the upcoming years.
- In parallel, the French government conducted a large online consultation for young people from May to July 2021, with the support of Make.org. 50,000 young French people expressed their views, endorsing 16 main ideas for the future of Europe.
The results of these two exercises – the regional conferences and the "Parole aux Jeunes" consultation – will be compiled in a final report, which will constitute France's contribution to the Conference on the future of Europe. This contribution will be handed over as such to the trio of the Conference Presidency.
- The French government also encouraged all French actors who wished to do so – associations, local authorities, elected representatives, civil society representatives – to organise events in the framework of the Conference on the Future of Europe and to map these events on the European Commission's platform. To date, more than 300 events have been registered.
National Citizens’ Panel
Conference on the Future of Europe
Contact the EU
Find an EU social media account
Search for EU institutions
- European Parliament
- European Council
- Council of the European Union
- European Commission
- Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU)
- European Central Bank (ECB)
- European Court of Auditors (ECA)
- European External Action Service (EEAS)
- European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- European Committee of the Regions (CoR)
- European Investment Bank (EIB)
- European Ombudsman
- European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
- European Data Protection Board
- European Personnel Selection Office
- Publications Office of the European Union
Please log in
You can access with an external account